- The Modules
- Introduction to the Workshop
- Steps to Establish MRM
- Introduction to Child Rights
- Impact of Armed Conflict on Children
- The Basis of MRM:
- Processes and Political Aspects of MRM
- MRM Guiding Principles
- Child Participation
- The Basics of Information Management
- Security and Safety
- Engaging with Parties to the Conflict
- MRM Phasing Out
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Caring for Staff
- Follow-up Training
- Sample Agendas
- Reference Materials
- Evaluation of Training
Steps to Establish MRM
- To ensure coordinators are fully aware of all the elements required for MRM
- To ensure that coordinators fully understand the technical aspects required for MRM and are able to advise CTFMR co-chairs and other task force members.
|Time required||60 minutes|
|Venue requirements||Main training room|
|Resource person(s)||1 person with knowledge of the topic, who can be flexible and also able to think rapidly to develop the session as it evolves.|
Also the facilitator should be able to enrich the discussion by providing concrete examples and lessons based on own experience establishing an MRM mechanism
|Training materials||MRM Field Manual Section B "When is MRM Established?"|
|Documents for participants||Terms of Reference – Country Task Force [PDF]|
|Access to materials|
This module is designed to be flexible to meet the needs of the participants and reflect where they are in the process of establishing or managing MRM. Participants that have been doing this longer can be valuable in sharing their experiences with those who are either new to the MRM or from countries where the MRM is in the process of being established.
- Identification of areas for further discussion (15 minutes)
- Ask participants to spend a few minutes reading Section C "Steps towards Establishing the MRM" from the Field Manual.
- Participants to discuss in pairs, areas that they do not understand or that are different to how they perceive it or different to how MRM has been implemented in their country of work.
- Brainstorming: Following on from the discussion in pairs, now ask participants to identify any areas that are stumbling blocks or they feel require further discussion to ensure full clarity
Tip: Some potential areas that can be suggested if not forthcoming:
- How to determine verification system
- How to engage partners
- How to ensure feedback at different levels
- Where to get help?
- List the key areas for discussion from brainstorming - this may require grouping some elements that were highlighted under appropriate headings.
- Some of the aspects highlighted may simply require an explanation either by the facilitator or an experienced participant. Cover these ones first and tick off the list as
you work through it.
- Facilitate discussion on the key aspects remaining - allocate a time limit based on the number of elements to be discussed. Encourage participants to share their own experiences and situations where they were confronted with challenges in establishing MRM.
Tip: To allow time to organise the plenary discussion, you may find it advantageous to plan to have the break between parts 1 & 2 of this module.